Spis słówek, terminów w j. ang. z wyjaśnieniem dla studentów Informatyki - English for Information Technology
1. a wireless network device that connects a wireless network to a wired network
Odp: access point
2. a registration for a user of a network system. It is used for controlling access to the s...
3. the window in a WIMP system that is currently being used. It is usually on top of any oth...
Odp: active window
4. a mechanism that converts signals into mechanical movements
5. the set of conductors that carry the memory address signals between different parts of a ...
Odp: address bus
6. abbreviation for asymmetric digital subscriber line. A form of DSL that has a different b...
7. abbreviation for artificial intelligence
8. a set of precise rules or instructions for solving a problem
9. the alternative key on a computer keyboard that changes the function of the other keys wh...
10. the name of a well-known search engine website
11. a type of signal that can take any value between a maximum and a minimum
Odp: analogue signal
12. a slang term for an eccentric socially inept person with little or no fashion sense and h...
13. acronym for American National Standards Institute. An organisation that approves US stand...
14. American term for an aerial, i.e. a device that enables signals to be detected and transm...
15. prevents the build up of static electricity
16. a computer program or set of programs used to detect, identify and remove viruses from a ...
17. the common name for Apple Computer Incorporated, a well-known producer of computers that ...
18. a family of personal computers produced by Apple Computer Inc.
Odp: Apple Macintosh
19. a very small self-contained computer program
20. the only part of a network communications process that a user sees. It prepares a message...
Odp: application layer
21. a path available for a particular type of application data to enter or leave a network sy...
Odp: application port
22. a company that makes applications programs available over the Internet usually charging a...
Odp: application service provider
23. a computer program designed to be used for a particular purpose, e.g. a wordprocessor spr...
24. a person who writes applications programs using a computer language
Odp: applications programmer
25. the general specification of a system
26. a digital bit stored with a file indicating if the file has been backed up since it was l...
Odp: archive bit
27. acronym for American Standard Code for Information Interchange. A standard character enco...
28. a low-level computer language that uses mnemonics rather than only numbers making it easi...
Odp: assembly language
29. having a different signal bandwidth in each direction, i.e. the bandwidth for sending is ...
30. not synchronised, i.e. occurring at irregular intervals
31. abbreviation for American Telephone and Telegraph Company. One of the world's largest IT ...
32. the name of a well known company that produces computer graphics cards
33. common abbreviation for automatic teller machine. The type of machine used by banks for e...
34. abbreviation for asynchronous transfer mode. A method of transferring fixed size data pac...
35. a process that checks the identity of a user or an object
36. a graphical icon that represents a real person in a cyberspace system
37. the common name for a bearer channel in an ISDN system
Odp: B channel
38. to store a copy of data on a storage device to keep it safe
39. the main transmission path handling the major data traffic connecting different LANs toge...
40. the server part of a client-server configuration that provides a service on a network at ...
41. the range of frequencies that can be transmitted over a communications channel
42. a sequence of vertical parallel lines used to give items a unique identification number
43. an optical input device that uses the reflection of a light beam to read barcode labels
Odp: barcode reader
44. acronym for Beginners' All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code
45. a process in which all the data is collected and processed together in a batch rather tha...
Odp: batch mode
46. the name of one of the first microcomputers produced in the United Kingdom and used in sc...
Odp: BBC micro
47. the common name for the part of an ISDN line that carries the data
Odp: bearer channel
48. a simple high-level computer language often used for teaching programming
Odp: Instruction Code
49. the common name for a bi-directional frame in an MPEG compressed file
50. a type of image frame used in MPEG compression. It is situated between I and P frames and...
Odp: bi-directional frame
51. a number system that only uses two digits, i.e. 1 and 0
52. a security device that measures some aspect of a living being, e.g. a fingerprint reader ...
Odp: biometric device
53. acronym for Basic Input Output System. A part of the operating system stored on a ROM chi...
54. the industrial application of biological science techniques
55. a small unit of storage capacity. One of the eight binary digits that make up a byte. The...
56. a way of reducing the size of a stored image where different digital bits or collections ...
Odp: bitmap compression
57. a collection of data stored together and treated as a single unit
58. the name of a high-speed microwave wireless network system developed by a group of compan...
59. to store a link to a webpage to make it easier to find in the future
60. to copy a part of the operating system into memory to allow a computer to start up
61. a self-replicating program that stores itself in the part of a disk containing the progra...
Odp: boot sector virus
62. from the word robot. A computer program that runs automatically. Bots are often used for ...
63. to set the boundaries of a message or part of a message by marking its beginning and its ...
64. a hardware and software combination used to connect the same type of networks or to parti...
65. able to carry signals transmitted over a wide range of frequencies
66. to transmit signals that can be picked up by a large number of receivers
67. to move from webpage to webpage using a Web browser program
68. a program used for displaying webpages
69. abbreviation for British Telecom. The organisation that provides the telephone system in ...
70. a process of temporarily storing data from a fast source so that it can be fed at a stead...
71. a fault in a system
72. an electronic noticeboard system that enables users to display messages for other users t...
Odp: bulletin board
73. a set of conductors that carry signals between different parts of a computer
74. a unit of storage capacity. A byte is made up of eight bits and stores one character, i.e...
75. a general purpose computer programming language that was originally designed for writing ...
76. the first hard disk in a personal computer
Odp: C drive
77. an object-oriented superset of the C programming language commonly used for writing appli...
78. to temporarily store frequently-used data in fast memory so that it can be accessed more ...
79. fast memory used to temporarily store frequently-used data to allow it to be accessed mor...
80. a system that ensures that any changes written to main memory are reflected within the ca...
Odp: cache coherency
81. the set of electronic logic circuits that control the operation of cache memory
Odp: cache controller
82. the process of successfully finding the required data stored in cache memory
Odp: cache hit
83. a system that automatically discnects a telephone line after receiving a call and then ...
Odp: callback system
84. a display device that uses an electron gun to fire a beam of electrons at a phosphor-coat...
Odp: cathode ray tube
85. abbreviation for Cisco Certified Network Associate. A starting level networking qualifica...
86. abbreviation for compact disk read only memory. A read only storage device in the form of...
Odp: CD / CD-ROM
87. a storage device for reading CD-ROM disks
Odp: CD-ROM drive
88. the common name for a cellular phone
89. a radio communications systems that divides a region into cells so that each region becom...
Odp: cellular network
90. a cellular telephone. A mobile telephone that communicates with a local transmitter locat...
Odp: cellular phone
91. the electronic processor at the centre of a computer. The term is sometimes used to refer...
Odp: central processing unit
92. a path for the transmission of data
93. a virtual space on a website where online discussions organised around specific interests...
Odp: chat room
94. information written to disks in a RAID system which is used to restore data if one of the...
Odp: check data
95. a calculated value that is stored with data to detect any errors that may occur when the ...
96. common name for a microchip. An electronic integrated circuit in a small package.
97. the name of a company that makes networking system hardware such as that used to operate ...
98. the term used for a collection of objects in object oriented programming
99. a term used in data mining meaning to remove duplicate information and erroneous data
100. to press and release the (left-hand) button on a mouse
Odp: left click
101. a network computer used for accessing a service on a server
102. a program that is accessed from a client computer but most of the processing is carried o...
Odp: client-server application
103. professionally-prepared graphical images stored on a computer system
104. the name used in Microsoft Windows for the section of memory that temporarily stores data...
105. the set of electronic circuits used to control the timing of signals and synchronise diff...
106. a term used in data mining meaning a group of data that has similar features or is based ...
107. a method used in data mining that divides data into groups based on similar features or l...
108. abbreviation for computer mediated communication, i.e. the transfer of messages using a c...
109. abbreviation for Certified Novell Engineer. A qualification aimed at people interested in...
110. a type of shielded cable for carrying signals. It is often used with radio frequency and ...
Odp: coax / coaxial
111. acronym for Common Business-Oriented Language
112. a piece of program text written in a programming language
113. to write the text of a program or part of a program using a computer language
114. abbreviation for coder/decoder. A program used for converting sound and video signals for...
115. a DOS program with a .com filename extension that loads and runs in 64 kilobytes or less ...
Odp: COM program
116. the part of an operating system that processes commands that are part of a program or are...
Odp: command interpreter
117. the model name of one of the first popular personal computers to be made available in the...
Odp: Commodore 64
118. a high-level computer programming language. It is the principal transaction processing la...
Odp: Common Business-Oriented Language
119. able to operate on the same type of system or run the same software
120. to convert a program written in a high-level language into machine code using a compiler
121. a program that converts the whole of a program into machine code before the program is us...
122. to reduce to a much smaller size
123. the process used for reducing a file to a much smaller size
124. a general purpose machine that can be programmed to process data in a variety of ways
125. a person who is paid to advise on computing system issues
Odp: computer consultant
126. a person who designs and develops computer systems
Odp: computer engineer
127. a room full of computers used for study
Odp: computer lab
128. a language used for writing computer programs
Odp: computer language
129. a person whose job it is to operate part of a computer system
Odp: computer operator
130. a person whose job it is to sell computers
Odp: computer salesperson
131. the study of computers and their use
Odp: computer science / computing science
132. a person who provides a service of maintaining and troubleshooting computers
Odp: computer services engineering technician
133. the process of designing using a computer program
Odp: computer-aided design
134. the process of manufacturing goods using a computer
Odp: computer-aided manufacture
135. changed so that it can be operated or controlled using a computer
136. a process of transferring messages using computers
Odp: computer-mediated communication
137. the theory and practice of computers
138. a field of work that provides a service including setting up, maintaining and troubleshoo...
Odp: computing support
139. a person whose job it is to provide support to computer users including setting up, maint...
Odp: computing support officer
140. to adjust the settings
141. the characteristic of being connected
142. a data bit used to mark parts of a transmitted signal so that the transmission can be con...
Odp: control bit
143. the set of conductors that carry the control signals between the Control Unit and other p...
Odp: control bus
144. to damage in such a way that prevents normal use
145. a Unix command for copying a file
147. to break into a computer system in order to steal information or cause damage
148. to fail suddenly and completely usually referring to the failure of a hard disk
149. abbreviation for cathode ray tube
150. set of symbols that signify pressing the combination of the control-alternative and delet...
Odp: Ctrl + Alt + Del
151. a symbol on the monitor screen that indicates the point on the screen that is being used
152. to remove some data from a file and temporarily store it in the computer's memory then in...
Odp: cut and paste
153. a digital image of an attractive female that is used in programs on the Internet
154. the study of control and communication in animals and machines. It is used in the design ...
155. the combination of all the data on all the computer networks throughout the world accesse...
156. a man-machine system or a person made superhuman by a machine or external system that cha...
157. the common name for a data channel in an ISDN system
Odp: D channel
158. the information processed by a computer
Odp: [1,2,5,6,12,15,17,18, 19,21,22,23] the information processed by a computer
159. a large collection of data that can be accessed by many users and enables them to copy or...
Odp: data bank
160. the set of conductors that carry the data signals between different parts of a computer
Odp: data bus
161. a facility for storing large amounts of information
Odp: data centre
162. the common name for the part of an ISDN line that carries signalling and supervisory info...
Odp: data channel
163. the transmission and reception of data signals using a communications network and appropr...
Odp: data communications
164. a measure of how resistant a system is to causing corruption in data while it is being st...
Odp: data integrity
165. a storage system that archives large amounts of data in a way that makes it easy to acces...
Odp: data mart
166. a process of analysing a large amount of stored data to find new useful information
Odp: data mining
167. the flow of data
Odp: data stream
168. a computing centre that provides a large collection of data gathered from different sourc...
Odp: data warehouse
169. a type of applications program used for storing information so that it can be easily sear...
170. a system for transmitting data from one computer to another
Odp: data-delivery system
171. the part of a network communicatio system that supervises the transmission. It confirms...
Odp: data-link layer
172. a Unix and MS-DOS command for displaying the current date
173. abbreviation for double data rate. A type of memory that transfers data on both the up an...
174. to find and fix faults in a program or system
175. a range of computers produced by the Digital Equipment Corporation using their Vax range ...
Odp: DEC VAX
176. to change coded information into normal text
177. a type of grid used in computer program design to show what actions should be taken by th...
Odp: decision table
178. an Al technique used in data mining that separates data into subsets then further divides...
Odp: decision tree
179. to decide what a program instruction means
180. to remove the compression, i.e. to expand to its original size
181. to recover the original text from an encrypted message
182. a computer crime that involves changing the information shown on another person's website...
183. an initial setting that can be changed by the user
184. a type of computer crime that involves swamping a server with large numbers of requests
Odp: denial of service attack
185. the main graphical user interface background screen that displays icons for other program...
186. a personal computer that is designed to be used on an office desk
Odp: desktop / PC
187. a computer program designed to be used on a desktop computer
Odp: desktop application
188. a small computer providing a variety of tools for organising work, e.g. a calendar, to do...
Odp: desktop organiser
189. the phases a software product goes through from when it is first thought of until it beco...
Odp: development life cycle
190. abbreviation for dynamic hypertext markup language. A development of HTML that allows the...
191. a communications system that allows computers to connect together using a telephone line
Odp: dial-up networking
192. a type of backup that copies all the selected files on a system that have been changed si...
Odp: differential backup
193. an electronic system that has only two states, e.g. off or on
194. an input device for taking pictures. It has an electronic lens and uses electronics for s...
Odp: digital camera
195. electronic currency that is stored on electronically sensitive cards or exists in cybersp...
Odp: digital cash
196. an electronic message used to show a transaction is trustworthy. It contains information ...
Odp: digital certificate
197. a broadband communications system that allows digital signals to be transferred across an...
Odp: digital subscriber line
198. to convert an analogue wave into a digital pulse
199. a storage area used for grouping files so that they can be easily located. A directory is...
Odp: directory / folder
200. a flat circular storage device
201. a linked collection of storage devices that work together to act like a much Langer disk
Odp: disk array
202. a storage device for reading from and writing to disks
Odp: disk drive
203. a vertical bar that divides a Windows Explorer window into two parts. One part shows the ...
204. abbreviation for domain name system
205. an identifier used on the Internet in place of the numerical Internet address. It identif...
Odp: domain name
206. a network server computer used for operating and controlling the domain name system
Odp: domain name server
207. a system of associating the name of a device on a network such as the Internet with its n...
Odp: domain name system
208. a printer that prints by hammering pins onto an inked ribbon
Odp: dot-matrix printer
209. to press and release the left-hand button on a mouse two times in rapid succession
210. to copy a file from a server to a client computer in a network
211. a process of copying a file from a server to a client computer in a network
212. the signal path for receiving communications from a server to a client computer in a netw...
213. to move data from one location to another with a mouse. Holding down the mouse button whi...
Odp: drag and drop
214. a set of hard disks that are used in a RAID system
Odp: drive array
215. a systems program that controls a peripheral device
216. abbreviation for digital subscriber line
217. abbreviation for desktop publishing. A process of designing documents for publishing usin...
218. able to transfer data in both directions, i.e. can send and receive data
219. abbreviation for digital versatile disk read only memory. An optical disk storage device ...
Odp: DVD / DVD-ROM
220. abbreviation for digital versatile disk +/- re-writable. A type of optical disk that uses...
221. abbreviation for European Article Number system. The European price and item codes common...
222. sound output device that fits into the ear of the user
223. a common name for an electrical ground point or zero voltage point
224. common name for an electronic book
225. common name for an electronic book reader
Odp: ebook reader
226. common term for electronic business, i.e. business that is carried out using the Internet
227. common name for electronic cash
228. abbreviation for error code correcting memory. A type of memory often used in server comp...
Odp: ECC memory
229. the business of buying and selling goods and services on the Internet
230. a computer program for making changes to text in computer programs or data
231. a system that has both educational and entertainment value
232. a computing device that displays the text and images of an electronic book
Odp: electronic reader / electronic book reader
233. a book that is displayed using a computing device instead of being printed on paper
Odp: electronic book
234. data that represents real money that is stored and transferred on computing devices conne...
Odp: electronic cas
235. an organisation that produces ebooks
Odp: electronic publisher
236. a computer program represented by an animated screen image that is used to help the user ...
Odp: electronic virtual assistant
237. the common name for an electronic mail message, i.e. a text message sent electronically u...
238. to send an email message
239. the unique address code used to contact someone using electronic mail
Odp: email address
240. a file that is attached to an email message
Odp: email attachment
241. a computer program used for reading and sending email
Odp: email program
242. an Internet service that allows user to send and receive emails
Odp: email service
243. a key feature of object-oriented programming that bundles data and program instructions i...
244. to write information in a coded form
245. a computer program that converts WAV files into MP3 files or vice versa
246. to transform data into coded form to make it secure
247. the transformation of data into coded form to make it secure
248. another name for the RETURN key on a computer keyboard. Pressing the ENTER key inserts th...
249. a type of computer program for planning and organising business functions in an enterpris...
Odp: enterprise resource planning tool
250. acronym for electronic point-of-sale till. A computerised cash register that edits record...
Odp: EPOS till
251. the production of ebooks
252. abbreviation for enterprise resource planning
253. common term for electronic solutions, i.e. ways of solving a problem or providing a servi...
254. a widely-used local area network standard that broadcasts packets of data that are addres...
255. a Microsoft Windows program that includes an email program, a calendar task list and addr...
Odp: Microsoft Exchange / Exchange
256. an MS-DOS executable program that has an .exe filename extension. It can use more than 64...
Odp: exe program
257. containing instructions that can be run or executed by the processor
258. to perform a computer operation by processing a program instruction
259. an electronic circuit board used for adding facilities to a computer
Odp: expansion card
260. a long thin connector that is used for adding additional electronics in the form of expan...
Odp: expansion slot
261. an artificial intelligence program that collects and uses human expertise to allow non-ex...
Odp: expert system
262. able to be added to, e.g. in an extensible language a developer can add their own terms
263. metalanguage that allows developers to create their own set of customised tags that ide...
Odp: extensible markup language
264. acronym used on websites for frequently-asked question
265. a computer's ability to recover from hardware errors
Odp: fault tolerance
266. to go and get the next instruction or piece of data from memory
267. a high speed interconnection standard used in storage area networks
Odp: Fibre Channel
268. a type of plastic or glass connector that enables signals to be carried using laser light
Odp: fibre-optics cabl
269. a section of a database where an item of data is stored
270. a computer program or data stored on a storage device
271. a main computer that provides a storage area for data files on a network
Odp: file server
272. an Internet service that allows users to transfer files from one computer to another
Odp: file transfer protocol
273. a virus that attaches itself to a program file
Odp: file virus
274. a collection of computer files stored centrally on a network server
275. a combination of hardware and software used to control the data going into and out of a n...
276. to mark in a way that indicates that a particular condition has occurred
277. an electronic memory storage device that plugs into a computer and acts like a disk drive
Odp: flash drive
278. a simple database in which all the data is stored in one table which is not related to an...
Odp: flat file database
279. a magnetic storage device in the form of a small plastic disk. Also known as a diskette.
Odp: floppy / floppy disk
280. a common magnetic storage device that reads and writes data on a floppy disk. Also known ...
Odp: floppy drive / floppy disk drive
281. a kind of diagram used by programmers to show the logical steps in a program or by system...
282. acronym for Formula Translator. A high-level computing language that was designed by scie...
283. to pass on without changing the content, e.g. a received email can be passed on to or for...
284. a section of a webpage that acts as an independent browser window. Clicking on a link in ...
285. an organisation that is dediced to producing software that can be used by anyone who wa...
Odp: Free Software Foundation
286. to make space available, e.g. by deleting files on a hard disk
Odp: free up
287. computer programs that are made available to anyone who wants to use them at no cost to t...
288. a set of frequencies that are used together to provide a path for the transmission of sig...
Odp: frequency band
289. an electronic device for showing the frequency of a signal
Odp: frequency display
290. a process of changing frequencies within a fixed bandwidth during a transmission so that ...
Odp: frequency hopping
291. abbreviation for front-side bus. The set of connectors on a motherboard that carry data s...
292. abbreviation for file transfer protocol
293. a type of backup that copies all the selected files on a system whether or not they have ...
Odp: full backup
294. able to transfer data in both directions simultaneously, i.e. data can be transmitted and...
295. a person who studies and predicts what technology will be like and what effects it will h...
296. an electronic device used for playing computer games
Odp: games console
297. an interface that enables dissimilar networks to communicate such as two LANs based on di...
298. abbreviation for a gigabyte
299. although it was originally a derogatory term used for an expert lacking in social skills,...
300. a GSM data transmission technique that transmits and receives data in packets
Odp: general packet radio service
301. a computer language that can be used to write different types of programs
Odp: general-purpose language
302. to register the Web address of a website on an Internet search engine
Odp: get listed
303. abbreviation for gigahertz
304. acronym for graphics interchange format. A way of storing images in a compressed form.
305. a unit of storage capacity equal to 1 073 741 824 bits
306. a unit of storage capacity equal to 1 073 741 824 bytes
307. a unit of frequency equal to one thousand million hertz (cycles every second)
308. a system that determines the user's location by comparing radio signals from several sate...
Odp: global positioning system
309. a project to build a complete user-friendly Unix-like desktop system based entirely on fr...
310. a freely distributed portable Unix compatible software system
311. the name of a popular website that provides a keyword search engine to enable user to sea...
312. abbreviation for general packet radio service
313. abbreviation for global positioning system
314. an electronic device that uses slider controls to adjust the frequency response of an aud...
Odp: graphic equaliser
315. the part of an operating system that allows the user to interact with a computer using gr...
Odp: graphical interface / graphical user interface / GUI
316. a Unix command for searching through one or more text files for a specific text string
317. acronym for graphical user interface
318. to gain unauthorised access to a network system
319. a skilled programmer who attempts to gain unauthorised access to a network system
320. able to transfer data in both directions but only in one direction at a time, i.e. data c...
321. a small portable computer that can be held in one hand
Odp: handheld / handheld computer
322. to suddenly and unexpectedly stop processing during the execution of a program
323. a common magnetic storage device that reads and writes data on metal disks inside a seale...
Odp: hard disk drive / HDD
324. the physical components of a computer system
325. the part of a disk drive that reads and writes data to the disk
Odp: head / disk drive head
326. the first section of a message that contains information about the content and transmissi...
327. sound output device that fits over the ears of the user
328. a telephone service for helping users solve problems that occur on computer systems
329. a set of computer programs with a wide variety of complex features
Odp: high-end package
330. a British college qualification that can be gained through part-time or full-time study. ...
Odp: Higher National Certificate
331. a British college qualification that usually requires a period of full-time study. It is ...
Odp: Higher National Diploma
332. a programming language closer to human language than low-level computer languages such as...
Odp: high-level language
333. a computer program written using a high-level language
Odp: high-level program
334. to select by marking on the display screen
335. a computer crime that involves redirecting anyone trying to visit a certain website elsew...
336. abbreviation for Higher National Certificate
337. abbreviation for Higher National Diploma
338. the button icon on a Web browser program that takes you to the starting webpage
Odp: Home button
339. the main start page of a website
340. a computer that provides a service on a network / a program that carries a virus
341. the location of a wireless access point. Often found in public places such as airports, s...
342. to hold a cursor over an icon for a short period of time
343. abbreviation for hypertext markup language. A page description language that uses a syste...
344. an electronic device at the centre of a star network topology
345. a common connection point for devices on a network
346. a robot with human characteristics
347. a text or image in a webpage that causes a related webpage to be displayed or another pro...
348. a page description language that has a set of tags that can be inserted into a document t...
Odp: hypertext markup language
349. abbreviation for input/output
350. abbreviation for International Business Machines, the largest computer company in the wor...
351. abbreviation for integrated circuit. A complete electronic circuit built on a single sili...
352. a small picture used in a WIMP system to represent a program folder or file
353. a wireless networking system standard approved by the American regulating organisation ca...
354. the common name for an intra frame in an MPEG compressed file
355. a computer program that allows the user to make changes to images
Odp: image editor
356. a graphic image with separate areas that contain hyperlinks to different parts of a websi...
Odp: image map
357. acronym for Internet mail access protocol
358. the folder in an email program where emails are stored when they are first received
359. a type of backup that copies all the selected files that have been changed since the last...
Odp: incremental backup
360. a set of radiowave frequencies centred around 2.45GHz used for industrial scientific and ...
Odp: industrial scientific and medical band
361. an informal term for a global high-speed network providing communication services that ar...
Odp: information superhighway
362. the study and practice of techniques or use of equipment for dealing with information
Odp: information technology
363. a key feature of object-oriented programming that allows specific instances of a class to...
364. done by employees of an organisation rather than people outside the organisation
365. to reboot or restart the computer
Odp: initialise the hard disk
366. to put data into a system
367. data put into a system
368. a piece of equipment used for putting data into a computer
Odp: input device
369. one line of a computer program
370. a broadband network communications system that allows the ordinary analogue telephone sys...
Odp: integrated services digital network
371. the American company that designs and produces the electronic processors used in most of ...
372. a computer utility program that uses artificial intelligence to perform tasks for the use...
Odp: intelligent agent
373. allows two-way communication so that the user can respond or interact with the system
374. the hardware or software that connects two systems and allows them to communicate with ea...
375. a 32-bit codnumber assigned to every node on the Internet. It consists of a series of n...
Odp: Internet protocol address
376. a free browser program developed by the Microsoft Corporation
Odp: Internet Explorer / Microsoft Internet Explorer
377. a set of standards for accessing email messages stored on an email server. Initially only...
Odp: Internet mail access protocol
378. the basic set of standards for enabling computers to communicate over the Internet
Odp: Internet protocol
379. an organisation that provides Internet connections for a fee
Odp: Internet service provider
380. the connection of computer networks across the world
Odp: Internet / the Internet
381. a program that converts other programs into machine code line by line as the programs are...
382. a type of image frame used in MPEG compression which contains only information in the pic...
Odp: intra frame
383. a computer network that is internal to an organisation and uses the TCP/IP protocol in th...
384. abbreviation for Internet protocol. A part of the TCP/IP protocol used on the Internet.
385. abbreviation for Internet protocol address
Odp: IP address
386. the IP part of a TCP/IP system
387. abbreviation for Internet relay chat. An Internet service that allows user to have a conv...
388. a process of identifying a user by scanning their eyes
Odp: iris recognition
389. an abbreviated form of information systems manager. A person who manages a computer-based...
Odp: IS Manager
390. abbreviation for integrated services digital network
391. an electronic device that isolates a network system from high voltages and allows it to u...
Odp: isolation adapter
392. abbreviation for Internet service provider
393. abbreviation for information technology
394. a process that is repeated as long as certain conditions remain true
Odp: iteration / loop structure
395. object-oriented computer programming language that was developed by Sun Microsystems i...
396. a scripting language that allows simple programs to be embedded into HTML documents
397. a cursor control device in the form of a movable stick that is usually used for controlli...
398. abbreviation for joint photographic expert group -the committee that devised a common sta...
399. a programming instruction that causes a program to change its normal sequence
Odp: JUMP comman
400. unwanted and unsolicited email that is normally advertising or trying to sell something
Odp: junk email
401. abbreviation for a kilobyte. A unit of storage capacity equal to 1024 bytes.
402. abbreviation for kilobits per second. A unit of signal speed equal to 1024 bits every sec...
403. abbreviation for kilobits per second. A unit of signal speed equal to 1024 bits every sec...
404. a graphical user interface used with the Linux operating system
405. the lowest level layer at the core of an operating system. It deals with allocating hardw...
406. the main electronic input device that has keys arranged in a similar layout to a typewrit...
407. the process of pressing and releasing a key on a keyboard
408. a word used to categorise documents or records in a file. Keywords can be used by a searc...
409. abbreviation for kilohertz. A unit of frequency equal to 1000 cycles every second.
410. an application program that is particularly useful and popular, making a computer system ...
Odp: killer application
411. a collection of information that can be easily modified, revised and manipulated to enabl...
Odp: knowledge base
412. acronym for local area network
413. software that performs computer language translation
Odp: language processor
414. the largest type of portable computer
415. a printer that prints using toner powder and laser light on a photosensitive drum
Odp: laser printer
416. abbreviation for liquid crystal display. An electronic display device that uses liquid cr...
417. a cable connection that is rented for use in a communications system
Odp: leased line
418. a set of programmed functions that are made available for use by any program
419. the amount of data transferred each time there is a transfer between the main memory and ...
Odp: line size
420. a common term used for a hyperlink, i.e. the connection of a webpage to another webpage o...
421. a clone of the Unix operating system created by Linus Torvalds for use on personal comput...
422. the Linux-user term for a complete operating system kit complete with the utilities and a...
Odp: Linux distribution
423. to copy a program from a storage device into the computer's memory
424. computers connected together over a small area such as a company department
Odp: local area network
425. to record the time that an event happened
426. a record of when an event happened
427. to connect to a network system account normally using a password
428. destructive code introduced into a program that is triggered by some event taking place o...
Odp: logic bomb
429. a digital electronic circuit that compares two or more inputs and gives an output accordi...
Odp: logic circuit
430. a method by which a program uses two sets of related records to find a required value. It...
Odp: look-up table
431. a computer language such as machine code or assembly language that is closer to the form ...
Odp: low-level language
432. an electronic card that gives the owner discount on purchases at a particular store depen...
Odp: loyalty card
433. a Unix command for printing a file
434. a Unix command for displaying a list of files in a directory
435. abbreviation for metre. An international unit for distance.
436. abbreviation for milliamp. A unit of current equal to one thousandth of an amp.
437. the common name for the Apple Macintosh range of computers. A type of personal computer m...
Odp: Mac / Apple Mac
438. acronym for message-authentication code
439. a computer language that consists entirely of a combination of Is and Os
Odp: machine code
440. another name for artificial intelligence
Odp: machine intelligence
441. the family of operating systems used on the Apple Macintosh range of computers
Odp: Mac OS
442. a virus program in the form of a macro program
Odp: macro virus
443. a magnetic storage medium in the form of a thin plastic ribbon wound on a reel or a casse...
Odp: magnetic tape
444. a computer crime that involves inundating an email address with thousands of messages slo...
Odp: mail bombing
445. an email program that connects to an email server to send and receive email
Odp: mail client
446. a network service that stores email messages and enables email clients to send and receiv...
Odp: mail server
447. a folder used by an email server to store a user's emails
448. a wordprocessing facility that causes a mailing list to be automatically combined with a ...
449. the electronic memory that holds the programs and data being used
Odp: main memory
450. the largest and most powerful type of computer. It is operated by a team of professionals...
451. the main electricity supply
Odp: mains line
452. a Unix command for viewing the online manual pages on a Unix system
453. a set of tags that can be inserted into a document to indicate its layout and appearance
Odp: markup language
454. being part of a system in which an application is processed by up to 200 or more processo...
Odp: massively parallel
455. abbreviation for a megabyte
456. abbreviation for megabit per second. A unit of signal speed equal to 1 048 576 bits every...
457. abbreviation for megabits per second. A unit of signal speed equal to 1 048 576 bits ever...
458. a unit of storage capacity equal to 1 048 576 bytes
459. a unit of frequency equal to 1 million cycles every second
460. a unit of electrical resistance equal to 1 million ohms
461. the electronic part of a computer system that is used for temporarily storing the program...
462. a list of options displayed on a computer screen
463. a row of icons on a display screen that open up menus when selected
Odp: menu bar
464. a number produced by a message-digest function that is used to make a message tamper-proo...
Odp: message-authentication code
465. a program function that processes a message to produce a number called a message-authenti...
Odp: message-digest function
466. a system that allows the receiver of a message to detect whether someone has tampered wit...
Odp: message-integrity scheme
467. data about data in a document
468. a language from which you can create other languages
469. abbreviation for megahertz
470. an electronic integrated circuit in a small package
471. a personal computer. Smaller and less powerful than a mainframe or a minicomputer.
472. the main electronic chip in a computer. It can be thought of as the 'brain' of the comput...
473. the common name for the Microsoft Corporation. The company founded by Bill Gates that dev...
474. a high-frequency electromagnetic wave used in data communication systems
475. acronym for musical instrument digital interface. A standard for connecting musical instr...
476. a computer that is slightly less powerful and a little smaller than a mainframe
477. a compact Unix clone written as a teaching aid by Professor Andy Tannenbaum
478. a technique used in RAID 1 systems where at least two hard disks are paired in such a way...
479. the part of a computer virus that enables it to hide itself by altering the normal sequen...
Odp: misdirection routine
480. an electronic device used in audio recording that allows a number of audio inputs to be m...
Odp: mixing desk
481. a Unix and MS-DOS command for creating a directory
482. a wireless telephone that operates over a wide area
Odp: mobile phone
483. short for modulator/demodulator. An electronic device that converts signals to enable a c...
484. a process of combining a data signal with a carrier wave by causing the data signal to mo...
485. the main output device used to display the output from a computer on a screen. See VDU.
486. acronym for multi-user object oriented. An Internet virtual environment developed from mu...
487. the main electronic circuit board inside a computer that holds and connects together all ...
488. a common cursor control input device used with a graphical user interface. It commonly ha...
489. a switch on a mouse that is pressed to select an object on the screen
Odp: mouse button
490. a cursor image in the shape of an arrow that is controlled by a mouse and is used for poi...
Odp: mouse pointer
491. a Microsoft Windows operating system feature that changes the function of the numeric key...
492. abbreviation for MPEG Audio Layer 3. A Motion Picture Experts Group standard for audio co...
493. a standard video compression scheme. The term is an acronym for Motion Picture Experts Gr...
494. abbreviation for Microsoft disk operating system. The command line operating system that ...
495. the combination of text graphics animation sound and video
496. the process of operating a user interface using a combination of types of input, e.g. key...
Odp: multimodal input
497. abbreviation for multiple virtual storage. It is the name given to a family of operating ...
498. abbreviation for milliwatt. A unit of power equal to one thousandth of a watt.
499. a Microsoft Windows feature that simplifies the process of copying and synchronising file...
Odp: My Briefcase
500. acronym for network attached storage. A device that can be plugged into a network to prov...
501. the process of writing programs using a computer language that is very similar to natural...
Odp: natural-language programming
502. the common name for the Internet
Odp: Net / the Net
503. a widely used web browser package
Odp: Netscape Communicator
504. a widely-used LAN operating system produced by Novell Incorporated
505. to connect a number of computers and peripheral devices together
506. a combination of a number of computers and peripheral devices connected together
507. a computer designed using the industry specification from Oracle and Sun Microsystems for...
Odp: network computer
508. a person who is an expert in networking and gives talks and advice on the future developm...
Odp: network guru
509. the part of a network communications system that forms the data into packets and selects ...
Odp: network layer
510. an operating system that is used to administer and control a network allowing computers t...
Odp: network operating system
511. an artificial intelligence system that is capable of developing rules from given input so...
Odp: neural net / neural network
512. an Internet discussion group that uses a restricted area on a server computer to display ...
513. a network terminal or point where a computer is connected to a network
514. a portable computer that is about the same size as a piece of writing paper
515. the common name for Novell Incorporated. The American company that designs and produces t...
516. the section of a computer keyboard that includes keys for entering numerical digits (0-9)...
Odp: numeric keyboard
517. an object-oriented programming module that has its own properties created by bundling dat...
518. a type of programming where programs are made from combinations of predefined modules tha...
Odp: object-oriented programming
519. abbreviation for optical character recognition
520. a widely-used application package developed by the Microsoft Corporation that includes pr...
Odp: Office / Microsoft Office
521. a computer program or set of programs that are used in a typical office, e.g. a wordproce...
Odp: office application
522. disconnected from a computer system or the Internet
523. connected to a computer system or the Internet
524. acronym for object-oriented programming
525. part of a system of software development where anyone is free to take a copy of the sourc...
Odp: Open Source
526. the set of programs that control the basic functions of a computer and provide communicat...
Odp: operating system
527. a process that enables a computer to scan and recognise printed characters using the refl...
Odp: optical character recognition
528. a type of storage device that reads or writes data using laser light, e.g. CD-ROM, DVD-RW
Odp: optical drive
529. a common name for glass fibre cable used in high speed networks. It enables data signals ...
Odp: optical fibre
530. data storage material that is written to or read from using laser light
Odp: optical media
531. a widely used database management system
532. abbreviation for operating system
533. version 10 of the Apple Macintosh operating system. It is a modular OS and has a desktop ...
Odp: OS X
534. a free graphical interface email program integrated into the Internet Explorer browser de...
Odp: Outlook Express
535. the processed data or signals that come out of a computer system
536. abbreviation for picoamp. A unit of current equal to a millionth of a millionth of an amp...
537. an application program or collection of programs that can be used in different ways
Odp: package / software package
538. a fixed size unit of data prepared for transmission across a network. Messages are normal...
539. a method of transferring data across a network by dividing it into packets and transferri...
540. a type of programming language that uses tags to define the layout of a document, e.g. HT...
Odp: page-description language
541. a small radio receiver which beeps to alert the wearer of messages or telephone calls. It...
542. a popular handheld personal organiser produced by 3Com
Odp: Palm Pilot
543. another name for a handheld IBM compatible computer
Odp: palm-size PC
544. a portable computer that is small enough to be held in the palm of one hand. See handheld...
545. a subsection of a graphical user interface window
546. extra data bits added to the end of units of data before transmission and then checked an...
Odp: parity data
547. a high-level structured computer language named after the mathematician Blaise Pascal. It...
548. a secret code used to control access to a network system
549. to insert a copy of data held in a computer's memory at a chosen position
550. to insert programming code into a computer program to fix or modify it in some way
551. the part of a virus that carries out the threat such as displaying a slogan on the screen
552. a set of computer programs used for calculating pay cheques
Odp: payroll package
553. abbreviation for an IBM type of personal computer
554. (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express) an interface for connecting peripherals to th...
Odp: PCI Express
555. a type of interface for connecting credit-sized electronic upgrade cards to portable comp...
556. abbreviation for personal digital assistant. A small handheld computer providing a variet...
Odp: PDA / personal organiser
557. a small computer that has a pen input device instead of a keyboard
Odp: pen-based computer
558. a family of processors produced by the Intel Corporation
559. a piece of equipment that is connected to the central processing unit of a computer syste...
560. a computer designed to be used by one person at a time
Odp: personal computer
561. the common name for a predicted frame in an MPEG compressed file
562. pretending to be someone that can be trusted, in order to steal personal information such...
563. an image-editing computer program produced by Adobe Systems Inc.
564. the part of a network communications system that encodes the packets into the medium that...
Odp: physical layer
565. a set of very small low power wireless links consuming only picoamps of electricity that ...
566. a computer crime that involves using another person's identification code or using that p...
567. acronym for personal information manager. A computer program that provides a variety of t...
568. an acronym for personal identification number. A unique number used by electronic systems...
569. a distinctive type of computer system that needs software to be written specifically for ...
570. a games console developed by the Sony Corporation
571. an arrow-shaped cursor
572. a key feature of OOP programming by which different objects can receive the same instruct...
Odp: polymorphism ^pDli'moiftz
573. acronym for post office protocol
574. to convert for use in another operating system or computer platform
575. a device that connects to a portable computer to make it easier to connect peripheral dev...
Odp: port replicator
576. a computer that is small and light enough to be carried from place to place. It can usual...
Odp: portable / portable computer
577. to display a message in a computer newsgroup or bulletin board
578. a message-retrieval protocol used by many mail clients to get messages from a server. It ...
Odp: post office protocol
579. a type of image frame used in MPEG compression. A predicted frame only stores the differe...
Odp: predicted frame
580. the part of a network communications system that ensures the message is transmitted in a ...
Odp: presentation layer
581. the main disk drive in a computer. In a PC this is usually a hard disk known as the C dri...
Odp: primary disk drive
582. the computer keyboard key that copies the current display screen image to memory or to th...
Odp: Print Screen
583. an electronic board that holds and connects the components of an electronic circuit
Odp: printed circuit board
584. a common output device used for printing the output of a computer on paper
585. secret code known only to the owner that is used for encrypting and decrypting messages
Odp: private key
586. a computer programming language that enables programs to be written using sections of cod...
Odp: procedural language
587. the part of a computer that processes the data
588. a set of instructions written in a computer language that control the behaviour of a comp...
589. to write a set of instructions for controlling a computer using a computer language
590. a person who writes computer programs
591. the processes of writing a computer program using a computer language
592. a computer language used for writing computer programs
Odp: programming language
593. a set of agreed standards
594. a way of writing a description of a computer program using a mixture of natural language ...
595. a condition in which there is no copyright on a work such as a computer program allowing ...
Odp: public domain
596. a secret code the owner makes available to others so that they can encrypt messages they ...
Odp: public key
597. a method of coding messages using public and private keys to prevent others from reading ...
Odp: public-key cryptography
598. a type of communication where the receiving computer initiates the connection
Odp: pull mode
599. a list of choices that appear below a menu title on a display screen when the user clicks...
Odp: pull-down menu
600. a communication where the sending computer initiates the connection
Odp: push operation
601. a system of using the reflection of radio waves to detect an object and determine its loc...
602. one of a set of mutually exclusive options in a dialog box, i.e. the user can only select...
Odp: radio button
603. acronym for redundant array of inexpensive disks
604. a particular arrangement of RAID array disks. Each RAID level is given a number with high...
Odp: RAID level
605. acronym for random access memory
606. a type of memory that can be accessed in any order. RAM is the main electronic memory of ...
Odp: random access memory
607. data that has not been processed
Odp: raw data
608. abbreviation for relational database management system. A database system that links file...
609. the immediate processing of computer data enabling interactive applications
610. to restart a computer operating system
611. a section of a database made up of related database fields
612. a computer program that allows the user to create their own audio CDs with a writeable CD...
613. the folder in Microsoft Windows operating systems where deleted files are stored
Odp: Recycle Bin
614. a storage system consisting of a set of hard disks that can be combined in different arra...
Odp: redundant array of inexpensive disks
615. a data management system provided by the TCP protocol to ensure that data is transferred ...
Odp: reliable stream service
616. is kept in the computer's memory
617. an electronic component that reduces the flow of current in a circuit
618. a measure of the quality of a display screen in terms of the amount of graphical informat...
619. a set of standards for software used with internal look-up tables in a TCP/IP network for...
Odp: resolution protocol
620. to put data back into its original location
621. to take an object apart to discover how it was originally designed and put together
Odp: reverse engineering
622. abbreviation for radio frequency
623. abbreviation for radio frequency identification device. A label that stores information t...
624. to press and release the right-hand button on a mouse
Odp: right click
625. the main electrical supply circuit in a building
Odp: ring main
626. to extract songs from a CD and turn them into WAV files
627. a program that extracts songs from a CD and turns them into WAV files
628. a Unix command for deleting a file
629. a Unix and MS-DOS command for deleting a directory
630. a mechanical device controlled by a computer
631. the study of robot systems
632. something requiring great intelligence or technical ability
Odp: rocket science
633. acronym for read only memory
634. the path that is used to transfer data in a network
635. to move data from node to node on a network
636. an electronic device that links different networks or parts of a network. It determines t...
637. abbreviation for revolutions per minute
638. the name given to patterns found in data when using neural networks
639. to execute a program, i.e. to get a program to process the data
640. a Unix command for displaying a report of who is currently logged in to the local network
641. abbreviation for software
642. a computer crime that involves manipulating programs or data so that small amounts of mon...
Odp: salami shaving
643. acronym for storage area network. A high-speed interconnection of shared storage devices
644. a widely used enterprise resource planning tool program
645. acronym for Serial ATA
646. to copy a program or data to a storage device
647. to copy text or graphics using a scanner
648. an optical input device that uses the reflection of light to copy text or graphics into a...
649. a computer output device used for displaying text and graphic images
Odp: screen / monitor display screen
650. to move through displayed information smoothly on the screen either horizontally or verti...
651. the part of a graphical user interface window that allows the user to move through a docu...
652. acronym for small computer systems interface. A standard way of connecting peripheral dev...
653. abbreviation for synchronous dynamic random access memory. A type of fast memory that use...
654. a program designed to find information on the World Wide Web according to data entered by...
Odp: search engine
655. a formatted section of a circular magnetic track used for storing data on a disk
Odp: user. Search engines are usually accessed from special websites, sector
656. the amount of time taken by a disk drive to find a particular track on a disk
Odp: seek time
657. a subdivision of data created by a network communications transport layer for which a che...
658. designed to transfer data sequentially, i.e. one data bit after another
659. (Serial Advanced Technology Attachment) a drive interface that feeds signals one after th...
Odp: Serial AT
660. a number that uniquely identifies a product
Odp: serial number
661. the small connector at the back of the system unit of a personal computer that is used to...
Odp: serial port
662. a main computer that provides a service on a network
663. a large collection of networked server computers that work together by sharing the servic...
Odp: server farm
664. a number used to identify a computer for maintenance agreements
Odp: service tag number
665. the part of a network communicationsystem that opens communications and has the job of ...
Odp: session layer
666. abbreviation for Standard Generalised Markup Language
667. software that is distributed freely and only paid for if the user decides to keep it
668. a graphical user interface for an operating system
669. a text file that contains a sequence of commands for a UNIX-based operating system. In DO...
Odp: shell script
670. the computer keyboard key that is held down to produce uppercase letters
Odp: shift key
671. to register with a service
672. a well-known computer simulation game in which the users control various aspects of runni...
673. a set of standards for sending email from an email client and transferring email between ...
Odp: simple mail transfer protocol
674. a programmed virtual environment that imitates a real or planned system
675. a common name for a website
676. a webpage that is used to show the overall layout of a website
Odp: site map
677. a computer program that is used to change the interface of another program, e.g. to chang...
678. common name for the Industrial Scientific and Medical frequency band
Odp: SM band
679. a plastic card containing a processor and memory chip. It can be used to store large amou...
Odp: smart card
680. a device used for reading smart cards
Odp: smart card reader
681. a device that contains an embedded processor and memory
Odp: smart de